Home Instructions Following Endodontic Surgery
Download these instructions
What to do following surgery:
- 1.After leaving this office, rest and avoid strenuous activities for remainder of the day.
- If necessary, take 1 or 2 Advil, Tylenol, etc. for relief of discomfort
- Apply and ice bag or cold compress to the outside of your face over the operated area. Apply for 10 minutes, and then remove for 20 minutes. Continue these applications for the first 4-6 hours of the first day only. This will keep any swelling and discoloration to a minimum.
- For the first 24 hours, eat soft food only.
- Avoid chewing in the operated area until the sutures dissolve or we remove themin 3-7 days.
- Avoid brushing in the area until our office removes the sutures or they dissolve in 7-10 days.
- After the first 24 hours, use gentle mouth soaks with 8 oz glass of warm water to a quarter teaspoon of salt following meals.
- Avoid lifting or unnecessarily exercising your lip. It is possible to accidentally tear the sutures, open the incision, and delay healing.
- Avoid smoking, drinking through a straw, hot drink, and heavy lifting over 20 lbs. for the first 24 hours.
- Return to this office in 2-3 days for a suture removal if treatment was performed by Dr. Scott Risser.
- Return to this office in 6-8 weeks if sutures dissolve or treatment was performed by Dr. Michael Feltman.
What to expect following surgery:
- Some discomfort will usually be present, although severe pain seldom occurs. If Tylenol, Advil, etc. does not bring relief, please fill the prescribed pain medication and take as directed.
- There will be some swelling and discoloration present for 3-5 days following surgery. Don’t worry; this is a normal part of the healing process.
- If bleeding or seepage continues through the incision on the gum tissue. Apply a moistened tea bag to the affected area with pressure for 10 minutes. This should alleviate the bleeding.
- There is often temporary loss of feeling in the operated area.
- The operated tooth may feel loose for a time.
SHOULD ANY CONDITIONS ARISE, WHICH CAUSE CONCERN, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL OUR OFFICE.
E. Michael Feltman, D.D.S, M.S.D. & Scott E. Risser, D.D.S., M.S.D.